Port of Echuca.
Built in 1865 the Echuca Wharf sits on the Victorian side of the Murray River about 1½ hours drive west of our farm. It was once Australia’s largest inland port where wool & other produce was bought in from isolated stations along the Murray Darling river systems to the railhead at Echuca, transported to Melbourne and then shipped overseas.
Echuca was also the main shipbuilding centre for river transport. The wharf is over 10m high with 3 levels to accommodate the changing levels of the river... it is currently very low.
The Port of Echuca now houses the largest collection of paddlesteamers in the world. The PS Adelaide (pictured far right) was built in 1866 and is the oldest wooden hulled paddlesteamer still operating in the world.